On March 15, 1923, ninety-five years ago, the Lake Bluff-Lake Forest Kiwanis Club was founded. The service-oriented mission and the Club’s motto is “Serving the Children of the World”. Today the Club has 23 members – including seven women, something which was not permitted before 1987.
Right now, approximately 15 organizations in Lake Bluff, Lake Forest, North Chicago and Lake County receive annual contributions from the Club including Reading Power, Mother’s Trust Foundation, CROYA, Zacharias, Max Schewitz Foundation, LEAD, and the Boys and Girls Club.
Historically, the funds provided have been obtained mainly through Pancake Breakfasts with Santa, the 4th of July, and Peanut/Candy Days. The 4th of July Pancake Breakfast is in its 47th year and now includes a hot dog/hamburger cookout and family activities following the parade. Ted Anderson of the James Anderson Company (opened in Lake Forest in 1891 and now in Lake Bluff) was Club President in 1961 and his son James a member since 1995 said, “Income from the breakfasts, teamwork of the members, generous food and supplies donated by local retailers, have made the event a success.”
In the past year, the Club has also been focusing on distinct “projects”. Backpacks with books were provided t 125 kindergartners in North Chicago – this will be an annual event! Funding for four Samrt Boards was given to the Lake Bluff Preschool. Financing was provided to the Lake Bluff Middle School for a handicapped ramp and also chairs and instruments for the Band Program. Just this month, funds were given to GLASA to purchase an adaptive track and all-court chairs for sports activities for handicapped children at Lake Forest High School.